Recupel asbl (non-profit organization) was founded by the branch associations Agoria (Federation for the technology industry) and FEE (Federation of electricity and electronics) as an ‘executing body’ for the collection and treatment of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE). More than 5,000 active members participate through individual membership agreements (June 2019).
The collection network of Recupel relies on the following collection points:
- all 564 container parks of Belgium (serviced directly, serviced through regional transshipment stations)
- 21 inter-municipal regional transshipment stations
- 22 used goods centers acting as regional transshipment stations
- 6 re-distribution centers of retailers
- approximately 6,961 retailers (both before and behind the counter solutions)
- collection facilities such as repair companies and waste management companies
- Logistics and treatment partners
Recupel works together with several logistics and treatment partners for the collection and recycling of household WEEE. These partners are selected by international tenders and contracts are signed for 3 years. For the collection and treatment of professional WEEE, Recupel provides a list of recognized recyclers on its website. Tailor made offers can be requested through the site. Recupel does not intervene but merely acts as a facilitator.